Sunday, November 28, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving Family!

This year was the first time in more than 10 years that I have been able to attend the annual Thanksgiving dinner at my Grandma Scherbel's house. My husband and I were both EXTREMELY excited to go, especially since I hadn't been in so long, and because he had never been... so needless to say it was something we were looking forward to for several weeks ahead of time!

Of course just because we had gotten our hopes up things got in the way, and we almost ended up not going. First Ben's truck window stopped working and got stuck down in the middle of winter, so we were forced to shell out the money to fix it.... and that money was what we were planning to use for gas money. Luckily though my parents wanted us to be there as badly as we did, and offered to cover our gas costs so we could still make it.

After that issue was resolved we got news of an expected "blizzard" that was expected to hit Utah the night before we were planning on heading out. I thought for sure we were going to be stuck at home for the holiday while we brought some extra firewood inside and prepared for the storm. We waited and waited, and sure enough it came as predicted..... but after a few hours it was gone and only left a few inches of snow behind it! I was very glad this so-called "blizzard" ended up being a dud so we could still leave as planned.

The roads were quite icy on the way to Blackfoot, and a little dangerous... but we made it safely to my Grandma's house the night before the feast. Thanksgiving day was just like I remembered it being.... waking up to the smell of TONS of delicious foods, coming downstairs to find dozens of warm freshly baked rolls and pies lining the counter top, turkey roasting in the oven, and Grandma in the kitchen making it all look so simple and effortless. We had a huge feast of all the delicious foods, and enjoyed reuniting with aunts and uncles, and a few cousins too.

We came home and spent the last day of the long weekend recuperating from our food induced coma and laziness to prepare for work starting early Monday morning... but man is it hard to find motivation after relaxing and stuffing your face for three days straight!

It was so nice to be able to spend the Thanksgiving holiday enjoying family and food, and sharing a family tradition with my husband too. In years past I have tried to make a feast of my own for my husband and siblings that weren't able to go to Idaho for the holiday, but never have achieved such a grand feast as my grandma! She has always been and will always continue to be my idol and my personal hero... I hope one day my cooking and skills as a woman can be compared to her!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah this was definitely my first time going up there with you to Idaho for thanksgiving. I definitely had a great time up there getting to see all of your cousins, aunts, and your grandparents again. I am so grateful to have you in my life because even though for the past years we haven't been able to attend, you have been such a wonderful wife to me and the Thanksgiving meals you've prepared in the past have been amazing and you have left me speechless lots of times and for that,I will always be grateful and proud of you my love.


    love,Your Husband :-)

    ReplyDelete